Right now, you are here, reading this blog post.
Why? Let me guess. Because you saw the title and you are interested in building a website.
And where is it that you are reading this? ON MY WEBSITE!
This is my website where you can find more information about me, can know about my service and offerings, can get in touch with me. This website is what creates the IDENTITY OF MY WORK.
Similarly, to create an identity for your business, to create a place where your customers can reach out to you, to create a landing page for your leads, to build an online store where you can sell- a website is a must-have for you!
So, how do you build a website as a marketer or a founder to create a sales driving machine for your business? It is really easy if done in the right way. Let’s see how you can build a website for yourself in 3 days.
NOTE: Your work starts with Domain Registration.
WordPress is the topmost choice for building a website. It comes with numerous plugins for specialized functionality and can easily be customized according to a marketer’s needs.
It has everything that is needed to initiate a website for your business.
WordPress, a free and open source tool, comes with several advantages to trigger your website reach and its variability. WordPress sites rank high in Google Search, a very important factor for product based websites. Along with the user-friendly module, it also offers plugins for extensive functions.
WordPress sites are mobile-friendly which is a must-have nowadays. It also has an extended community which supports regular updates.
In order to build a website through WordPress, you have to go through the following steps:
Step 1: Register Domain/ Business Name:
The first thing is getting a domain name registered. Having a catchy and relevant domain name is an absolute essential for any website to succeed. For this purpose, you have to turn to a domain registrar company which is responsible for assigning a name to your purchased IP address.
GoDaddy and Namecheap are two of the largest domain registrars which have acquired reliability through their years of service. Considering price, reputation and customer support; both of the aforementioned domain registrars can be used to get a domain name registered.
Step 2: Get a WordPress Optimized Hosting:
Next up is getting web hosting, a service which provides the storage space and access to the websites. SiteGround is recommended in this case, they are stealing the show in 2019 because of their stable, secure and uber-fast service in WordPress Hosting. Their GrowBig plan is highly recommended which comes with all the essentials along with some premium features.
Customer support of Siteground is very very good. They reply fast! One of the best so far in my opinion. Consider after sales service for hosting. This will save you a lot of time in the future.
Step 3: Domain and Hosting Connection:
The next step would be connecting domain and hosting. This can be usually done by just adding the Cname (that come with hosting) on your domain. You can do it manually too by pointing the domain to a specific IP. Below is how to get Cname from Godaddy and connect is with Siteground. I m sure you will get something similar to Godaddy if you have a different Domain provider.
Step A: Take DNS from Siteground
Step B: Connect it with domain (E.g. Godaddy)
Please note, if you change the name server, it might take up to 24 hours for the domain to connect with the hosting. Or as less as 10 minutes.
Step 4: Install Elementor Page Builder:
Instead of using the default WordPress builder (which used to be called Gothenburg), a great alternative is using Elementor. It is a page builder plugin which replaces basic builder with a live frontend editor.
It can be used to create complex layout visually and also for designing live without the necessity to switch between preview mode and the original page. You can start free. But getting the paid version is a must as it will give you a few very essential features and is totally worth the investment.
Here is how to install Elemntor:
Elementor also has some good tutorial videos, Click here to watch one.
Step 5: Setup a Theme (or not)
The whole idea of using Elementor (which we will discuss right after this) is so that you don’t have to buy an expensive theme. Gone are those days.
But still, we need to get a lightweight FREE theme. “Generatepress”, the WordPress theme can be your choice in this case. It is easily customizable without any need for coding. It also offers better performance being lightweight in nature.
WordPress itself also has some paid and free themes to choose from their appearance option.
Step 6: Get an Email Address for Your Business:
You can get a free email address from your Siteground Cpanel. But for getting a business e-mail, there seems to be only one logical choice and that is Gmail! Needless to introduce, Google indeed has the best service for the business email purpose. It’s also my 1st priority as it will help make your new email address marked not spam.
BUT, please start with Siteground’s free email if you want to save money.
Last step: Don’t Forget to Check This List Before Launching Your Website!
- Proofread the website again and again and again. Don’t let there be any small error. Typos, grammatical mistakes, broken links can easily ruin even the best of websites
- Make sure your website is secured. Security is the most important in order to keep your website safe and sound.
- Test it from the viewer’s perspective. See if the buttons work perfectly, images show up correctly, videos run smoothly and the animations are at the right place!
- Everyone uses different devices and not everyone uses the browser that you do! And so, do not forget to check the compatibility of the browsers and devices
- Configure an SEO plugin and your permalinks. Make sure every page is unique and are optimized for keyword usage
- Update your timezone because all activities and plugins rely on the maintained time on WordPress. And I am quite sure you want those to maintain time!
- Ensure that you have an SSL certificate for your website otherwise your audience may not proceed after seeing the security warning
- Submit your website to Google so that pages from your website appears in Google search streaConfirm that your website has proper anti-spam solution plugins to protect it from virus and malware attacks
- Make sure social media platforms are integrated into your website. So that the “share” and other options/buttons work perfectly and none misses out on anything.